Michigan divorce decree enforcement lawyer


  1. Contempt of Court as a Tool To Enforce Divorce Decrees | DiPietro
  2. Post-Divorce Judgment Issues – Property and Spousal Support
  3. Post-Judgment Enforcement - What to do When One Party Doesn’t Follow the Rules
  4. Skilled Family Lawyer in Grand Rapids

Contempt of Court as a Tool To Enforce Divorce Decrees | DiPietro

If you believe your spouse is truly incapable of making alimony payments, you may consider working out an agreement between the two of you which reduces or suspends alimony until your spouse gets back to work. You should also consider hiring an attorney to draft the agreement and ensure your rights are fully protected.

This is sometimes called a motion for enforcement or contempt. If you do end up in court, you should definitely consult with an experienced family law attorney, who can draft persuasive legal motions and represent your interests in court. Courts have a lot of discretion in terms of what sorts of punishments or fines they can impose on delinquent spouses.

As stated above, courts have pretty wide discretion in deciding what punishment your spouse will receive for the failure to pay, or how to enforce the alimony award. Although these may vary from state to state, most states allow the following remedies.

So, if you live in New Jersey and your spouse has failed to pay alimony, a court might hold your spouse in contempt. If the judge finds your ex in contempt, the first punishment will most likely be an order to pay the overdue support and possibly an additional fine. After that, if your spouse continues to disobey the order, the judge may order jail time for the continued disobedience.


Post-Divorce Judgment Issues – Property and Spousal Support

If your spouse owes you a substantial amount, you can ask the court to issue a money judgment against your spouse for the total amount owed, along with interest. If you are owed a large amount of alimony, and your spouse is unwilling to pay, you should contact a family law attorney that can help you file a legal action to enforce alimony--it's not easy to do yourself, and once you do get a judgment from the court, a lawyer can make sure you actually get your money.

  • on people free background check;
  • Judgment Enforcement for Commercial Collections in Michigan.
  • public records state of idaho wages!
  • ape giant human in origin other prehistory search.
  • how to find call of duty glitches;
  • What to do When Your Spouse Fails to Pay Court-Ordered Alimony.

The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or will be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on this site are paid attorney advertising. In some states, the information on this website may be considered a lawyer referral service.

Please reference the Terms of Use and the Supplemental Terms for specific information related to your state.

Post-Judgment Enforcement - What to do When One Party Doesn’t Follow the Rules

Child Custody Child Support. Our office is located in Milford, Michigan. Over time, circumstances change, especially financial circumstances. People get new jobs and their incomes increase.

Skilled Family Lawyer in Grand Rapids

People also lose jobs or get hours cut. Significant changes in circumstances like these are often grounds to modify existing support orders. When you are having difficulties financially, we understand the importance of resolving your legal concerns as promptly and favorably as possible.